Friday, August 5, 2011

Sneak Prevue Mailbag: You have questions ... we have answers

By TERRY R. CASSREINO

In today’s edition of the Sneak Prevue Mailbag, I answer a question about Peter Jackson’s extended version of “The Lord of the Rings” trilogy, which was recently released in high definition on Blu-ray disc.

I also talk a little about two worn-out film franchises that have seen better days: “Star Wars” and “Indiana Jones.” Let’s hope both film series remain dormant for the rest of their lives.

Every week I dig deep into the Sneak Prevue Mailbag and answer a handful of reader questions. As always, feel free to drop me a question. Write me at editor@sneakprevue.info.

Mr. Cassreino: Now that Peter Jackson is filming “The Hobbit,” Warner Bros. just released ‘The Lord of the Rings” trilogy on high-definition Blu-ray disc in what is labeled an extended cut. The three films are each significantly longer than the versions that originally played in theaters. Which version do you recommend: The theatrical cut or the extended director’s cut? – Sidney in Lexington

THE LORD OF THE RINGS:
THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING (2001)
Dear Sidney: I prefer the extended versions of the three films in “The Lord of the Rings” series. Jackson shot an incredible amount of film for all three movies: “The Fellowship of the Ring,” “The Two Towers” and “The Return of the King.”

While I find the theatrical versions enjoyable and great artistic achievements, I prefer the extended cuts. I bought the extended versions of all three films when they were originally released on DVD. Jackson added scenes that clarified certain points and incidents of the films while also adding significantly more depth to all of the characters.

Jackson’s three films are rich in detail and characterization. The extended versions expanded on what Jackson accomplished so well on the big screen. I don’t know about you, I’m looking forward with great anticipation to see what he does with “The Hobbit.”

As I’ve said before in previous columns, I don’t like the 3-D films and the extra surcharge theaters make you pay. But this is one 3-D film – well, make that two because Jackson is filming “The Hobbit” as a two-part movie – I plan to see.

Mr. Cassreino: Do you think George Lucas will film a three-part sequel to the original “Star Wars” now that he has completed the three-part prequel? – Jack in El Paso


Dear Jack: God, I hope not. The three-part prequel – “The Phantom Menace,” “Attack of the Clones” and “Revenge of the Sith” – were bad beyond belief. “Star Wars” was a product of the late 1970s. The original three films are dated and have not withstood the test of time. Enough is enough. Leave “Star Wars” alone.

By the way, Lucas is releasing high-definition versions of the six “Star Wars” films on Blu-ray disc this fall. My advice: If you must buy them, stick with the original film trilogy and avoid the prequel trilogy. I don’t plan to buy any of them. They simply lack the magic they had when I saw them at the theater.

INDIANA JONES AND THE KINGDOM
 OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL (2008)
Mr. Cassreino: Will we see a new Indiana Jones movie? – Joanie in Little Rock


Dear Joanie: Here’s another film series that has had its day. The fourth movie, “Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull,” was pretty bad for a Steven Spielberg-directed production. Harrison Ford showed his age. And Spielberg created a tired, non-thrilling bore of a film. Forget about it. “Indiana Jones” is done.

Mr. Cassreino: You seem to have written a lot about musicals lately, from Hollywood productions to Indian song fests. I just can’t buy into people suddenly breaking out in song and dance. Am I an awful person? – Bobbi in Augusta


Dear Bobbi: You have nothing wrong. Many film goers are just like you – they just don’t like musicals.

I’m more than willing to suspend my disbelief if the musical is good. There have been quite a few bad musicals: “Lost Horizon” in 1973 and the horrendous “Xanadu” in 1980 are great examples.

Thankfully, recent film musicals like “Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street” have revived a dormant genre. On the horizon: A film adaptation of the hit Broadway musical “Les Miserables.” Now, if only someone would make a film version of “Miss Saigon.”

Mr. Cassreino: What do you do if someone sitting next to you at the theater is talking on the cell phone? – Joan in Miami


Dear Joan: Turn to your neighbor, smile broadly, politely reach over, rip the phone from his or her hands, remove the battery and then return the phone. Seriously, though, politely ask them to shut up. If that doesn’t work, report him or her to the theater management immediately.

Talking in the theater, either to your neighbor or on the cell phone, is incredibly irritating and one of several reasons why I don’t go to the show as much as I used to (the other reasons being inflated ticket prices and outrageous concession prices).


# # #

1 comment:

  1. I can count on one hand the number of scenes from all three Lord of the Rings movies that I enjoy watching again and again. Not my favorites.

    And I agree with you about Star Wars. I will, forever and always, love the original I saw with my second grader back in -- what was it, '77? -- but when Lucas started fiddling with Episodes 4, 5 and 6 and then inflicted 1, 2 and 3 upon us, I lost interest.

    As for rude moviegoers, I would put the burden on the theater operators, and I'd ask for my money back because of the offending patrons. Bet that would get their attention.

    Nice job, T.C. I like it.

    ReplyDelete